How to Uninstall Windows Live Messenger
Communication using computers has evolved rapidly over the past decade. With the advent of the internet and followed shortly by electronic mail (e-mail), persons had the ability to send messages that would take at least one week to be delivered, depending on location, to be delivered to the same recipient in under a few minutes “” all thanks to the digital internet based mailing system.
Today, we still have an evolving messaging industry, now called “œInstant Messaging” where persons can have real-time conversations in text or by audio visual means. Despite this ease of access to communication, many persons have specialized instant messaging software that no longer require the use of Microsoft’s Windows Live Messenger, for the company’s Windows operating system. Only seven easy-to-follow steps are required to successfully know how to uninstall Windows Live Messenger.
This is process for Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 or newer and for Microsoft Windows Live Messenger.
- Click the “Start” button in the lower right hand corner of the screen, on the taskbar.
- Click on “Control Panel”. Once here, using Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP, click on “Add or Remove Programs. If using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click on “Programs” or “œPrograms and Features” respectively.
- Navigate through the list of programs in the dialog box and highlight “Windows Live Essentials.”
- With “Windows Live Essentials” highlighted, click on the “Change”, “Remove” or “Uninstall” button which should now be available.
- A dialog box should now appear. Select “Uninstall” then click the “Continue” button.
- The next screen instructs the user to “Select the programs you want to uninstall”. Click on the check box beside “Messenger”. Clicking the checkbox should yield a check mark. Click “Continue” to proceed to uninstall Microsoft Windows Live Messenger.
- A message stating that the uninstall process has been complete should now be displayed. Close the window and restart the computer.
- Windows Live Messenger should now be totally removed from the computer.
Tips, Recommendations and Warnings
- Never unplug the computer while uninstalling the program as this may cause the program to become corrupted and unable to be removed. Unplugging the computer during this process may also render the hard disk drive useless.
- Never turn the computer off if it becomes unresponsive during the un-installation procedure. This may occur on some systems and will resume normal operations after the procedure has been completed.
- If you will be reusing Windows Live Messenger in the future, do not worry about saving a backup of your contact list as Microsoft has automatically provided a method for back up. All you will need to use to access the contact list for Windows Live Messenger is your e-mail address and password.
- Never issue the password for any e-mail addresses you use. This will prevent any unauthorized access to your e-mail and Windows Live Messenger contact list.
- Maintaining good etiquette is also important; try to message persons who you have been in contact with and tell them that you will be discontinuing use of Windows Live Messenger. You should perhaps suggest another method for contact, such as e-mail or by telephone.