How to Use Gmail
Gmail is essentially Google mail which, as the name suggests, is the mailing service offered by the Internet giant, Google. Several services are provided to the users who utilize Gmail. The most common services used are emailing and instant messaging or IMing.
- Enter www.gmail.com in your web browser’s address bar.
- On the right hand side of the page, you can sign in to your Gmail account. If you do not have an account in Gmail, you can create one by clicking on ‘Create an account’.
- Enter your username
- Enter your password
- Click the “˜Enter’ button on your keyboard or bring your mouse to the “˜Sign In’ button and click
To create a new account:
- Select the “˜Create an account’ button
- Enter the required information
- Do the word verification (you cannot proceed without doing this)
- Read the terms of service. Click the “˜I accept’ button and then click ‘Create my account’
Once you have logged in, you can send and receive emails. You can also chat instantly with your friends after you add them to your list. You can even make calls from your Gmail inbox.
Sending and Receiving Messages:
- You can invite friends to Gmail or add friends with existing Gmail accounts. All your contacts are listed on the left hand side of the screen. To send an email, click on ‘Compose Mail’. In the box next to the word ‘To’ you can type your contact’s address. If the contact is already there in your contact list, the address will get generated automatically as you begin to type the first few letters of the id. After you complete writing your message, press “˜Send’.
- The received messages will be visible once you login. You just need to click on a message to open and read it.
- Simply place you mouse over the person you want to chat with and a box looking like a business card will come up.
- Click the chat option and an IM box will open close to the bottom right corner of your screen.
This feature is accessible using Mac OS X 10.4+, Windows XP+ or Linux and allows you to call any number in the world (calls are free in the US and Canada but incur charges for other areas). Be sure to understand how much this will cost you in order to avoid making this convenient service, a financial nightmare. Read the rates link carefully.
- To start, click the “˜Call Phone’ link that will light in green once you login to your inbox. It is situated to the left of your screen, right below your name and status.
- A message with a brief introduction will pop up bearing both the price and the button to proceed the first time you click the icon.
- Click the ‘Install voice and video chat’ on the page that comes up to install the voice plug-in.
- From here on whenever you click on the icon a phone keypad will appear at the bottom right of your screen close to you chat window. Simply select the country being called, type the number and click “˜Call’. With enough money in your calling account the call will go through.